Promo codes are a great promotional opportunity to generate consumer purchase interest (through scarcity of availability).
Note: Promo codes can only be added after an event has been published (they cannot be added while the event is in draft mode)
1. ADD PROMO CODES
If you want to generate promo codes for your event, go to your event dashboard and click the “Promo Codes” tab, then click “Add New Promo Code”.
On the 'add a promo code' window, specify the settings for your promo code, then click “Save Promo Code”. Before proceeding, please ensure you have considered all possible scenarios in which the promo code could be used (so you do not end up discounting more than intended).
- Promo Code type –
- Multiple: allow one code to be used multiple times (you can define how many times the code can be used)
- Single: expire after one person has redeemed it. If you select this option, you specify how many unique codes you want.
- Promo Code– Name of the promo code (e.g. OTIXSALE2015)
- Usage Quota – If ‘Multiple’ promo code type is selected, you can define how many uses of the promo code are permitted, or leave blank for unlimited
- Limit Validity– The date(s) this promo code cab be redeemed (e.g. “This promo code is only available for use between 28/7/2015 and 28/8/2015”)
- Promo Code Effects
- (%) Off Ticket price: percentage discount off one ticket type.
- (%) Off Total purchase: percentage discount off the total purchase amount.
- ($) Discount off Ticket price: specific dollar discount off one ticket type.
- ($) Discount off total purchase: takes a dollar amount off the basket value (does not apply to Ticket Options)
- Get Free Ticket: This allows the customer to get one, or multiple ticket types for free
- Show Hidden Ticket: This code can 'unlock' a ticket type that is hidden by default. Warning: All tickets that you assign this promo code to, will be hidden from customers by default.
- Select Tickets to assign this Promo Code – Assign which ticket type(s) you would like the code to apply to
- How many Single Use codes would you like to generate – When you have specified you would like single use codes, please specify the number of single use codes you require. For example, if you were distributing the codes to a mailing list of 500 VIP’s, you would create 500 single use codes, and mail merge them into your email campaign. Extraction of your single use codes is covered in section 3 of this page (“Manage Promo Codes”).
Note: Remember to activate your promo codes after saving.
2. EXAMPLES OF PROMO CODES
2.1 (%) OFF TICKET PRICE
Select “(%) Off Ticket price”, then enter the percentage discount that you want this promo code to apply. Assign the promo code to all applicable ticket types (that you want the promo code to work on), and click “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
2.2 (%) OFF TOTAL PURCHASE
Select “(%) Off Total purchase”, then enter the amount percentage discount that you would like this promo code to apply. Assign the promo code to single or multiple ticket types, and click “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
2.3 ($) DISCOUNT OFF TICKET PRICE
Select “($) Discount off Ticket price”, then enter the dollar amount you want this promo code to discount by. Assign the promo code to single or multiple ticket types, and click “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
2.4 GET FREE TICKET
Select “Get Free Ticket”, then assign the promo code to single or multiple ticket types, and press “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
2.5 GET COMPLIMENTARY TICKET
Select “Get Complimentary Ticket”, then assign the promo code to single or multiple tickets. Click “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
2.6 SHOW HIDDEN TICKET
Select “Show Hidden Ticket”, then assign the promo code to single or multiple tickets. Click “Save Promo Code” to generate the new code.
3. ACTIVATE AND MANAGE PROMO CODES
Click on "View Promo Code Usage" under the "Promotion" in the Toolbox.
Or go back to the promo codes management tab (above), to manage the promo code. Click “Edit” to make more changes, click “Download as Csv” to download the list of promo codes (for single use promo codes), and click “Activate” to activate the promo code. When a code is activated, editing is not allowed and the code is ready for use in your marketing communications.
The above is an example export of single-use codes that have been randomly generated by O-tix. Once used, each unique code will expire and cannot be used again.
After confirming all information, click “Activate” to activate the promo code so that users can use them for discounts.
Tip: Promo codes can only be edited while set as “Inactive”.
Tip: Avoid the use of spaces in your promo codes.
Tip: Always test your activated promo codes to ensure they are behaving as you expect (apply the promo code as if you are a customer and ensure the effect is as desired).
4. USING PROMO CODES (APPLYING THEM AT CHECKOUT)
A customer can apply a promo code by visiting your ticket selection page, clicking 'Enter Promo Code', typing in the code, and finally selecting 'Apply Promo Code'. Promo codes can only applied at the ticket selection stage of checkout.